Marka in Ghana

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Lizards, Crocodiles and a crazy wedding!

My first weekend was pretty interesting! I stayed at Abel's guesthouse for a couple of nights as he cemented the floor of my room at his place. One night, when I went to the bathroom, there was a crazy splashing noise when I flushed the toilet. It turns out that there was a lizard under the toilet seat and when I flushed he got caught by the water and was frantically trying not go down the pipe! It was such a comforting feeling!! He managed to stay in the bowl, and I left him to find his own way out. In the morning, he was still there, so I figured he had a pretty shitty night so I picked him up and let him loose.
Outside of Abel's guest house, which has running water in the kitchen and bathroom, is a large water tank that sits on a platform that is about 20 ft high. I assumed that water was pumped to this tank, because it was so high up. Of course not! What happens is every 4 days or so, prisoners from the local jail come and fill it up, bucket by bucket, from a borehole that was about a 5 minute walk away. They climb up this huge ladder with the buckets on their head, dump them in, and then repeat! It took about 4 hrs for 3 prisoners to fill up the one tank! I guess it's one good way to put prisoners to work!

My first Saturday in town, there was a wedding that I attended with Abel's family. We only attended the church portion of it, which was almost 5 hrs long!! It consisted of a lot of the traditional Canadian wedding things, including the walk down the aisle, but a lot was different. There is a lot more singing and dancing that goes on and at multiple points during the ceremony people get out of the pews and go up to the front to dance. If you are dancing well or singing well, people will come up and stick a bill of money onto your sweaty forehead, which is then donated to the bride and groom. This also commonly happens outside of weddings from what I can tell too, and my guess is that you keep the money? There were things that are usually done in our receptions that were done in the church. The last couple of hours, a table was brought out and the wedding party sat up at the front of the church. The cutting of the cake was also done in the church. What I found kind of funny is how big Coke products are here: Coke and Fanta lined the front of the table like a pretty display. I wish I would have had the opportunity to see the reception!
There is a river that runs near Nilerigu, and apparently houses crocodiles that come out at night, but make their way back to the water before daybreak. If a crocodile doesn't make it back, he just freezes where he is. This happened, and it was the huge talk of the town, and everyone walked down to see the crocodile. I couldn't believe how big the crowd of people was, and how close it got to it, and that the crocodile did nothing! People were touching it, pulling it's tail, and it just stayed there! I was still too chicken to touch it; taking the picture was close enough for me!

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home